Rating based on 17 reviews


  • Providing cover and care
  • Easy procedures
  • Necessary information aid

In-page navigation

Road Accident Fund homepage
Author Road Accident Fund. Screenshot of Road Accident Fund website.
[Accessed April 5, 2023]

RAF - We get justice for you

The RAF is a juristic person established by an Act of Parliament, namely, the Road Accident Fund Act, 1996 (Act No. 56 of 1996) as amended (”RAF Act”). The entity is owned by the South African public and is funded by fuel and gas price levies.

We promote road safety

The Road Accident Fund is the juristic body responsible for providing cover to all road users within a timely and caring manner, while also promoting safe use of the country’s roads.

The RAF also covers the rehabilitation and compensation of injured parties as a result of motor accidents on the road across South Africa.

Section 3 of the RAF Act stipulates that “the object of the Fund shall be the payment of RAF compensation in accordance with this Act for loss or damage wrongfully caused by the driving of a motor vehicle”.

The RAF covers not only the South African public but all foreigners within the borders of the country.

Procedure after an accident

It is important to take the details of the other driver; name, address, car insurance details, contact number, identity/passport number, number plate, and license details.

Take photos of the damages incurred due to the motor accident, so that you have a good record to provide your insurance, the police and your attorneys with. You need to report the accident to the police within 48 hours, whereupon you will be given a case number, which both your insurance and attorneys will need.

Claim as a third party

500 000 people are injured on South Africa’s road each year, with 10 000 deaths resulting from negligence on the road. Road accident claims are those that arise from injuries and damages associated with motor accidents.

Road accident and personal injury claims are also known as third-party claims, these claims are complicated and can become frustrating. The purpose of the RAF is to cover all road users within South Africa for injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents with rightful compensation.

Road accidents

In order to be eligible to claim from the Road Accident Fund, you must prove that the driver of the other vehicle was in some way negligent and caused an injury to you.

It is possible to make a claim directly from the RAF without the use of a lawyer. You can download the statutory claim forms and instructions from here, we do advise to make use of a lawyer with extensive knowledge in this filed

What to do in the event of a road accident

Motor accidents often leave victims stranded at roadsides, and commonly involve physical and emotional trauma. If you are involved in a car accident and you or your passengers are injured, it is important to try to remain calm and assess the situation.

If emergency services are required, you can call Nationwide Emergency Response (10111). Alternatively Netcare (082911), or ER24 (084124) for emergency medical care.

Road Accident Fund – RAF Claim

  • Claim Type RAF Claims

Benefits of Road Accident Fund

  • RAF Claims

RAF - Get the compensation you deserve

Initiating a third party claim begins with the submission of a statutory claim form to the RAF.

The claim form constitutes an official report of the accident comprising the personal and vehicular details of all the parties involved, and an affidavit containing a description of the conditions under which the accident occurred, including relevant witness testimonies, police, medical and financial reports.

Once your form has been successfully submitted to the RAF, a case will be opened and your action investigated. The RAF will determine the validity of your claim and what motor vehicle accident compensation or punitive action is necessary, by taking into account the responsible party for the accident, and any negligence (of either party) that exacerbated the damage resulting from the accident.

Who can claim from the RAF?

  • ANYONE who is injured in a motor vehicle accident or while using roads within South Africa.
  • RELATIVES or dependents that have lost income support, due to the death of the breadwinner.
  • MINORS, under the supervision of parents or guardians.

How long will it take?

Be patient. It takes to process claims; depending on the individual case, the process can take up to 18 months. If you intend to claim from the RAF for medical bills, the claim will require a medical practitioner to write a report on your accident-related injuries.

However, this report can only be submitted once you are deemed to have completely medically recovered. Depending on the severity of your injuries this can take months.

  • You can only claim for injuries that result in a minimum of 30 % physical impairment of your whole body after you have reached maximum medical recovery.
  • Irrespective of what you may have been earning prior to the accident, claims for loss of earnings are currently capped at R196 636 per year.
  • If you pursue action through the RAF and are successful, you cannot then sue the responsible party privately, even if you intend to claim for damages that the RAF does not cover.

Road Accident Fund Contact

Physical Address

  • 2, Eco Glades Office Park, 420 Witch-Hazel Ave Centurion Pretoria 0046 South Africa
  • Get Directions

Postal Address

  • Private Bag X178, Centurion, Pretoria, 0046, South Africa

Opening Hours

  • Monday 08:00 – 16:00
  • Tuesday 08:00 – 16:00
  • Wednesday 08:00 – 16:00
  • Thursday 08:00 – 16:00
  • Friday 08:00 – 16:00
  • Saturday – CLOSED
  • Sunday – CLOSED